Thursday, August 13, 2009

Passion for Polaroids



Waaaaaay back in May, I came up with this inkling of an idea for a project: Polaroids! I love the look of Polaroid film, and it seemed like the perfect medium in which to photograph our summer back in Montana. Polaroid film is expensive and you only get 10 negatives per cartridge, making it a fun and challenging project for me due to the limited number of allowed images. Also, I was thinking it'd be fun to introduce a little more of myself onto the blog. Interesting, huh? Thing is, I didn't have a camera, they don't make them anymore AND they don't produce the film anymore. Le sigh.

Well, while packing up my life in Portland, I came across a little gem that had gone unused and underappreciated for too long: a Polaroid camera! My boyfriend apparently bought it at a college garage sale, and it had been sitting in our office (aka the place where Dianne's things go to die) for two years in a dark and dingy box. Alas, problem solved! All I had to do was order some film (thank you Amazon) and I was ready.

As said, Polaroid is no longer in production. It's days are numbered - numbered to the point that whoever has film out there and is selling it, that's it. When it's gone, it's gone. Fujifilm has come out with it's version of the Polaroid, but it's just not the same. Le Sigh. Yet another amazing film relic lost to the digital age. Grrr.

Here is the first half of our summer, a la Polaroid:

{as always, click on an image for a larger view}










4 comments:

  1. WOW I love them! Looks like you guys had an amazing trip to Montana. Can't wait for photos of AZ.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh darn if I'd known you wanted a polaroid I could have given you one as well. Looks like you had some fun times. Love the smiles and really like the one with the dogs swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Polaroids and their yellow tint... how I miss thee. The framing of the square negative is just so wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete