Monday, March 9, 2009

Reminiscing ...

I discovered my missing back-up CDs! AH!

For those of you who didn't know me in college, here's a little background on the j-school at the University of Montana: we were required to shoot film. We started with b&w, then after getting into the program as juniors, we were required to shoot slide film. Even in the studio. For each assignment, we basically had 24-36 frames to get it right. Exposure, composition, framing - everything had to be done correctly in the original image otherwise you had to re-shoot the assignment, took a docked grade and ate $16 ($8 for the film, $8 for developing). We scanned our negatives and were allowed some post-processing (such as cleaning up dust), but we turned in our RAW files as well as our edited files and were graded on both. None of the wonderful editing capabilites of photoshop we now have as digital photographers that can save our butts if we didn't get it right (even cropping!). Don't get me wrong, I love digital, but mainly for the financial breaks - not it's many technological abilities. It probably explains a lot if you have ever had a conversation with me about digital photography and my end seemed anything but knowledgeable!

Now I rely on my digital for the majority of my work, but still shoot film at every session. Bottom line? I can't afford to shoot film! On top of that, I haven't found a decent place in PDX that I trust for development (I had a bad run-in with a developer in Missoula and am now uber-cautious). But I love the look of film, and I'm more comfortable with it as a medium. I think I take better photos when shooting with it and I am grateful that I was taught the essentials of photography basics with film (the U has now moved to an all-digital format). Don't get me started. I wrote my entire senior thesis on the transition from film to digital, and it's many cons ... enough of this tirade.

Anyway, here are a few images I found in my long-lost backups. They were all shot with film and I just thought I'd share since I need to blog more anyway. Enjoy!




My beautiful aunt ...

8 comments:

  1. I really want to try out some film sometime and I hear that Richard photo lab is amazing for development!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From high school up to 2006, all I knew was film. But, then these past three years I converted my mind and process to digital. So, I guess now I fear using film and not having the perks of a DSLR as my "backup." But, I do miss shooting film, just don't miss the expense to upkeep it. Eeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you, I still think when you shoot film that you get better shots. Not really sure why it is. Maybe its all in the confidence. And, to me, I don't think digital is still up to the quality of film. Its way closer than it was when I was in High School. I detested digital! And I have like 10 rolls of film I haven't developed either because of the same experience in processors. Maybe I'll try Richards like Missy said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and those are some amazing shots btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember being "shocked" when a friend sneered at my new camera that was film. "Why didn't you get digital?" This was about 8 years ago and I swore I would never go digital. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've shot film since junior high, when I got my first manual from my mom. I only shot b&w until I got into the program at the U, which is where I fell in looooove with slide film. Someday I will be able to afford it. I hate having to hold myself back during sessions with my film camera!

    Missy, if you ever want to play with my camera and/or film, you're more than welcome to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I invite you to visit my blog. you can find my last works of art at:

    www.claudiotomassini.blogspot.com

    yours Claudio Tomassini

    ReplyDelete
  8. horay for film! Great shots as well!

    (yes it's taken me forever to get to everyone's blogs, im slow).

    Richard's Photo lab is pretty darn good. My friend, who recently switched to film, swears by them (she even got invited to their fancy dinner at the WPPI... and guess who tagged along, muuahha) A little on the more expensive side, but I guess your work is in good hands.

    ReplyDelete